The Pavelka Project 2015- April’s Challenge #polymerclay #TPP2015 #craft

Hi. I know it’s been a while since I posted here. It’s a slow process kick-starting a new blog. Especially when I’m in the middle of a blogging project on my writing blog. LOL To see what Calisa Rhose, the writer in me, is up to join me for Blogging A to Z Challenge 2015 on Pen of the Dreamer, my writing blog. We’re on the letter ‘T’ today and that post will go up later today if you want to check back.

I mentioned over there yesterday about April’s special challenge project for the Pavelka Project 2015 that I’m posting here. I promised pictures of the Carmex lid I made for Spring. I’m really excited about this one. It took me literally hours to create. The regular project for this month is to do a foil technique, but I don’t think I’ll get that one done. Here are some pictures of my Spring Garden.

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Top view

This top view is to show all the elements I made on my Carmex lid. Can you spot the butterfly, dragonfly and lady bugs?

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Top front view

This is probably the only spring flower garden I’ll have this year. 🙂 I made each and  every flower petal and grass stalk. You can’t really see them, but there are tiny cane leaves on the flowers too.

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Butterfly close-up

The butterfly is a little hard to see or photograph in a good angle, but I think you can see it here. I might try again to get a good pic with my light box.

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Top side view

 

 

 

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Lady bug close-up

You can see a few leaves stuffed among the grass and stems here if you look close.

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Dragonfly close-up

This little guy was actually supposed to be a butterfly, but like my writing, characters often take on a mind of their own. LOL

I started by covering the lid top in a green I custom mixed with Premo! Green, a touch of a lighter one and a touch of Jungle. I used a brown I had laying around from another project for the rim. I think it was a mix of Souffle Cowboy and Premo! Brown.

 I rolled bits of Premo! Green and Wasabi (the yellowish stalks) for the grass stalks, clumped them into three or four and molded those around the ‘garden’ first. For the flowers I used mostly Premo! colors, which is my favorite clay to use so far. I haven’t tried Fimo yet, but Kato has a really strong plastic-y odor that kills my allergies to use and it doesn’t work as well for me, a bit tough to soften. I made each petal and stem, then bunched them in clumps of four which I molded onto the lid around the grass clumps. At this point I baked the lid.

Once the ‘garden’ was cool from baking I added the butterfly and dragonfly to the flowers. I made the lady bugs and placed them on the rim, then added the green balls. Those are made with green Premo! as a base to help them stick to the baked clay, then I used upside down metal bead caps filled with Wasabi balls. I used Bake & Bond to help all the raw clay pieces like the bugs that were added to the baked piece stick where I wanted them. Last I added the lady bug foot prints, then baked a final time.

I was going to add a touch of Ranger’s Perfect Pearls Interference Green powder to add extra glimmer to some of the flowers and grass, but I just remembered I was going to use it. Oh well, next time. 😆 I might still add a few drops of Sculpey liquid to make dew drops. Maybe I can add the powder to that. 🙂

I almost always bake for an hour at the suggested temperature, no matter what the project or how small. Larger pieces I bake for two hours or more, depending on how thick it is. For Premo! the package says to bake at 265* for 15 minutes per 1/4 inch. Since my lady bugs were about that thick I gave them an hour, just to make sure they baked through. Over-baking won’t hurt most Premo! clay unless your temp is too high. As long as you have the correct temp you could probably bake a piece all day and it won’t burn, and since polymer clay is plastic, it won’t dry out like Play Dough. I say it won’t burn, but I should add that I cover every piece I bake with aluminum foil in a foil pan. I have burned a couple of items early on that weren’t covered. I also believe I was still using Sculpey III then, which is a much softer clay. I’m not sure if it burned because my oven temp was too high or because I baked it too long unprotected. I discovered my (convection toaster oven) temp is way off to just set and go, so I have since bought an oven thermometer that I use to set my temp correctly.

March’s project was all about learning techniques for faux stone in ivory, turquoise and cinnabar (a red stone). I haven’t done anything with the pendents yet so I haven’t shared them here.

That’s all for now. I hope you enjoyed looking at this project as much as I did making it. Thanks for stopping by!

Advertisements

Thanks for your comments and conversation!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s